How to Get Started on Homework
PROBLEM – How do I get started with EACH assignment???
Some students struggle to get started because they are unsure about what to do. They often fail to read or understand instructions. Some really need to be shown as well as reading or hearing the instructions.
We want students to be as independent as possible on homework, but getting them started and reassuring them that they are on the right track can alleviate a lot of wasted time.
SOLUTION – Use The “Getting Started Questions”
- What should I do first? (Put my name on the paper)
- What do the directions say?
- Is there an example I can look at?
- In this assignment, are there questions I will need to answer after reading something? If so, where are those questions? Read the questions before reading the section (paragraph, chapter, etc.).
- Do I need to ask for help?
- Write all the questions on a card that your child will use every time he does homework.
- Now “walk your child through” each question. Direct your child through using the questions on several assignments.
- Finally, have him try to use them independently.